APS is committed to ensuring the health and safety of our staff and students throughout the entire school day. In accordance with CDC and VDH guidance, we will continue to protect student health and safety during meals.
Lunchtime Health and Safety Procedures
Every school will consistently implement the following health and safety measures during lunch:
- Cafeteria or other dining spaces and frequently touched surfaces will be regularly and thoroughly cleaned by custodial staff between mealtimes.
- Students will be provided with opportunities to wash their hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer before and after eating. Time will be provided for handwashing and sanitizer will be readily available for student use.
MPSA Dining Protocols
- Full Outside Lunch Plan: Students will dine outside daily, weather permitting.
- Partial Outside Lunch Plan: Our school will make use of multiple spaces – indoors and outdoors – and implement student rotations to maximize distancing and ensure student health and safety.
- Inside Dining: Students will dine inside in the Multipurpose Room/Cafeteria or their classrooms.
- Outside Dining Protocol for Colder Weather: Students can dine outside, weather permitting. This includes during the winter months, as long as temperatures are above freezing or 32 degrees Fahrenheit, exercising caution related to wind chill, precipitation or other factors. There are a number of factors that require consideration before a decision is made as to whether students are allowed to dine outside. These factors include but are not limited to: temperature, wind chill, frozen ground, sunshine, heat index, humidity, how prepared are the children (coats, hats, gloves/mittens) to maintain a comfortable and safe body temperature. All students are encouraged to have warm coats, gloves and hats in preparation for outside lunch and recess in colder weather.